Saturday 19 January 2013

touchdown!

three timezones, three international airports, three drastic weather changes and two very long plane rides. yeap thats right folks, after this little adventure i have officially touched down in Denmark!

The 18th of January was a very eventful day. It began with my little sisters birthday and ended with me saying goodbye to my family for a year at Sydney airport. I was so nervous, checking my bags in and held my breath as the lady weighed my bag. Long and behold we were actually allowed to take 30kgs (or so i am told) so my 200g over 20kgs was allowed thank goodness.

I always knew that saying goodbye was going to be hard... and it really was. But all the emotional farewells seemed worth it when we finally walked through the departure gate and boarded the plane.
But just a heads up. When sydney is the hottest day on record, you DO NOT want to be in a plane, especially if that plane is delayed on the runway AND you are wearing a blazer.
Over all the plane flight was pretty good. Met some kids from all around Australia who were heading to Germany, Switzerland and ofcourse Denmark. We were seated together in our countries which was really nice and we nervously chatted about our expectations for our year away.

By the time we hit Bangkok, i was so thankful to be on solid ground again. Customs was fun, especially having to take off our shoes but by that time i was pretty delirious and was ready for a good night sleep. So upon checking my ticket as to when we boarded the next plane at 0:55am, i was excited to find that we were touching down in Denmark at 6:35am...Great Sarah you can do this I thought to myself, only another six hours!!!!

Well i got a shock when i was informed that it was actually an 11 hour flight. Fantastic!
But I managed to sleep most of the way which was good! By the time we were flying into Copenhagen airport i was wide awake and ready for whatever the day was going to throw at me. It was breath taking to look outside the window and see snow.. and i mean soft fluffy movie snow!!!!!

A big cheer came from all the 22 exchange students abroad and we were all excited to meet our host famalies. Stepping off the plane was a sigh of relief. We had made it!!!
The cold was actually welcoming after being on a hot and stuffy plane (and also escaping the aussie heat) So after saying goodbye to those catching a connecting flight to areas outside of Copenhagen, we ventured through to the beginning of our year away!

I was met by the lovely Anita and Esben who are my district councilors whilst in Denmark. We drove about an hour from the airport to their beautiful home. I gazed out the window the whole time taking in the beautiful snow covered country side thinking that i am the luckiest person in the world right now. In the back of my mind though was the reality of not seeing my family in Australia for one year... it finally hit me- this will be my life for the next twelve months

ANYWAYS. So Anita and Esben live in a beautiful country house with a goergus view of a lake. of course being winter their surroundings are completly covered in snow which i think is the greatest thing ever. I have a beautiful view from my window and i am so excited to be staying here!

I had my first danish meals today. Danish bread and pastries are amazing (can see where i will be putting on the weight-gulp). I also went shopping with Anita and bought some winter boots and a beautiful winter coat (european fashion is to die for). I then settled in, helped cook dinner and found out about all the amazing things that i am going to be doing this year.

I have had to pinch myself multiple times- but THIS IS REAL! and i have a feeling that i am in for the adventure of a life time.

Off to visit Hamlet's castle tomorrow- should be GREAT!

Hope you are enjoying the heat Australia!

xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment