Monday 21 January 2013

princess for a day

As a little girl, I always dreamt of being a princess. The beautiful dresses, the flashy parties and of course the big castle were my expectations for the future. Like any little girl, Disney movies left me with big expectations... But eventually I grew out of this stage when I realised that kissing a frog was not the way to meet and marry a prince. 


Today however, at age 17 this childhood dream of mine was revisited when I visited the Dream Castle in Frederiksborg. This castle is exactly how my five year old self imagined it to be. The grounds were surrounded by snow and beautiful gardens, there were little towers, big windows with divine views, balconies, a surrounding park and the little lamp posts that lined the paths were just the icing on the cake.


The inside of the castle was even better and fulfilled my princess fantasy. It was a step up from yesterday and I did not think that was at all possible. The chapel was the first building that we visited. The detail in the roof and surrounding walls was just magnificent. Lining the walls were shields of famous people, that meant something to Denmark. The people could design their own coat of arms. There were so many, some even 300 years old! I was so excited when I found Princess Mary's- the security guard understood this when he found out that I was Australian. 

We then continued wandering through the castle. The artworks that were on the walls were just amazing and all of the furniture was in its original condition. The four poster beds, the beautiful cutlery, the carved wardrobes, the thrones- it had it all. 

There was so much history surrounding this castle. This time, it centred around the Danish Royal family and also a little bit of general knowledge about Denmark. There were paintings from the myths about how Denmark was formed, all of the revolutions, every king and queen and of course the world wars. So much history for one castle! It was great. 

My favourite room was the ballroom. Walking in, you could easily imagine people wearing great big fancy dresses and waltzing around to old records. It was like a room that you see in a movie. It was breathtaking and I could have spent hours in there. 

So as we drove away from the castle, my princess fantasy was satisfied. And with that, we visited the castle of a real life princess, home to an Aussie girl whose dream came true. To my surprise, this castle wasn't as big or princess like. It had more or a modern look but it was still beautiful! In summer there is a cycle track that surrounds it- can not wait to explore it beyond the barricades! 

After exploring more castles, it was time for lunch. This time I had a traditional danish hot dog. I am not usually a fan of hotdogs, but i decided to give it a go as to the Danes, i guess it is like our meat pie. It was surprisingly nice... but don't think i will be back for more! 

Then arrived home and it was my turn to cook dinner. Got my masterchef on and cooked some beef maccaroni (one of my all time favourite foods) and Mum's chocolate slice. Was really good! and nice to have some familiar Aussie food. 




Off to do a little more exploring tomorrow. May even check out a real IKEA!

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment