Wednesday 30 January 2013

back to school

So I have officially started at my new school here in Denmark. It is an experience but i am really loving it so far- especially English classes because it is about the only thing that I understand at the moment. The language is proving difficult at times, but I am trying really really hard. I have now started at language school and am doing a little bit each night with my host family. I can now count to ten, say the days and even the months. Yay team.

My experience at school so far has been really really good. My class is lovely and are making me feel really welcome. Obviously, Danish schools are really different to Australian schools and I can not believe how relaxed it is here. They have uncensored internet so Facebook is used in class, they call their teachers by their first names and have music in the cafeteria at lunch. No uniforms are also really cool- so its mufti every day here in Denmark! But the school has a really relaxed vibe and it is so chill compared to Australia.

Since my last blog, I have been so busy! On Tuesday or Tearsday in Danish I went to sort out my visa (finally) and then explored Roskilde Cathedral. It is one of the most amazing places that I have ever been to. So much history! The Danish royal family is actually buried in there and each room has an amazing burial chamber and beautifully decorated rooms. The chalk paintings on the walls date back to hundreds of years ago and it is so beautifully preserved. I really want to go back (especially because my camera ran out of battery) but I will try and go to a service there- maybe at christmas because it is just the most amazing church!

I also went to language school which i found all by myself. I spent the afternoon beforehand roaming the streets of Roskilde. It is such a beautiful town and I am so fortunate to be spending the next year here. Language school was really good. It was nice to meet some other exchange students who are experiencing exactly the same things as me. Met some Rotary kids who are on the same bus for Euro tour as me (IM SO EXCITED HURRY UP JUNE!) I'm going again this afternoon after school. Should be good.

I am constantly asked what strange experiances I have encountered during my time here and now that I think about it, I would have to say the roads. They are so so so narrow and yesterday I nearly had a heart attack when my bus nearly smashed into another bus. I held my breath as the window just missed the corner. It was so scary- but everyone was acting like it was perfectly normal. That is something that I am going to get used to.

Missing you all Australia

xxxx

ps won't be writing much for the rest of the week (unless i'm really really bored in class tomorrow) but next week i'm off to language camp so won't have access to my computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment