Tuesday 15 January 2013

The Calm Before The Storm

15.1.13

As I stare at the surroundings of my bedroom, my stomach is doing backflips and a million things are running through my mind. The countdown that I made back in June no longer reads 150 days.... Amid the green crosses are the numbers 3, 2,1... a very appropriate place to start

My journey begins back in March of 2012 when i first applied to become a Rotary Youth Exchange Student. Living in another country and experiencing a completely different culture has always been a life long dream of mine- and the Rotary program fulfilled this beyond my wildest dreams. So off I went to the application- wearing every good luck charm that I owned and crossing my fingers and toes- hoping that i would be accepted. After a very nervous wait, and another round of interviews, I received the news that I was officially part of the 2013 outbound students. My excitement levels were through the roof and kept on increasing dramatically throughout the year.  Through Rotary, I have met wonderful fellow exchangees at District weekends and camps. We bonded over scenario solutions and mastering the art of systematic cup passing. The highlight of these camps however, was finding out the country that i would be heading off to DENMARK!

Now, i know what you are thinking.  Being Australian, Denmark=Princess Mary!. I guess its just a cliche- like France is always associated with the Eiffel Tower or England Big Ben. I will admit though, Princess Mary was one of the only things that I knew about Denmark (oh and the date that it was invaded in WW2- damn you HSC modern history!) But as soon as i started researching,  I realised that there was so much more to love about the country which houses our beautiful Aussie princess. 

From reading travel websites I found that there was some general thoughts on Denmark; the buildings have thousands of years of history, the people are the happiest in the world,  they have their own currency and their pastries are AMAZING. - sounds like the place to be.. and i will be.... in THREE DAYS! 

I AM SO SO SO EXCITED! (maybe not for the 50 degree temperature difference though... )  

Anyways, times ticking away and i need to zip up my suitcase. 20kgs for the win!

xo 







No comments:

Post a Comment