Tuesday 22 January 2013

F is for furniture and food.

Before arriving in Denmark, I had never seen snow. Now I wake up to a view of snow fields every single morning. It's defiantly a change in scenery, and one that I am really enjoying, especially when I wake up to little droplets of snow falling out of the sky! This was a sign that today was going to be a pretty good day- and indeed it was. 

This morning, Anita and I visited IKEA. I have never been to the one in Sydney so I was keen to see what the fuss was all about. The IKEA was massive- wayyyyyy bigger than the one in Sydney. It was actually really really cool, and I am all inspired to sign up for The Block 2014. The furniture was also a little different to the stuff you see in Australia. Some of the room set ups were typical Swedish which was really cool and interesting to see their style.  IKEA also had a Swedish food court, cause ya know Sweden is like a 40 minute drive away and everything. 

After leaving IKEA all inspired to renovate a house, we spent the rest of the day exploring Roskilde. This was the first time that I had been around the town on foot, and I was excited to see what was in store. Roskilde is famous for two things- the massive music festival and the cathedral. I have to wait a little to make a judgment on the music festival, but after stopping in the town today, it was clear to see why the cathedral is so famous. Like all of the old buildings here, it is absoloutley amazing. The clock tower is just wonderful and its set in the middle of the town. It's kind of like Camden's St Johns, but a thousand times bigger and not set on a hill- as there are no hills in Denmark. I didn't actually go inside the church- saving that for Thursday but i can imagine, if the outside is anything to go by, that it will be amazing! Will post some pictures then. 

I also got to explore the main street of Roskilde today. It is such a beautiful little town with lots of little shops and cafes lining the cobble stone streets. Danish cafes are actually one of my favourite things about Denmark. They are all so cosy with cute little booths and candles burning in the windows (this is a Danish tradition in Winter- all houses do it. I love it!). It is a great way to escape the cold, as i discovered today when I entered the Frellsen chocolate shop. This chocolate shop was lined with beautiful handmade chocolate that were mouth watering. Similar stuff to Australia, except this chocolate covered ball thing which I found out was a Danish speciality. So far, all Danish traditional food has been pretty nice, but this was just amazing. The inside of it was gooey, similar texture to pavlova, but with an even better taste. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever tasted and went even better with a hot chocolate. Anita bought six more samples! Three almond and marzipan and  three liquorice. My liquorice one is still sitting in the fridge... and thats a good thing! 

After escaping the cold and walking away with a little extra baggage, we strolled through some of the shops in the town. I went into H&M searching for a few more warm clothes so that I won't freeze at school. I have noticed that most Danish shops play the top 100 American hits... It's a relief as it can be the only thing that I understand when shopping...Was a little shocked today when the Collective's song 'Surrender' started playing. It was actually nice to hear an Aussie band- even though it is not one of our finest!! 

Walked away with a few more additions to my wardrobe and then headed to the supermarket.On the way, we passed my school. Getting a little nervous about starting! Have a meeting there on Thursday which should be good. I find out all of the classes and things that I will be doing and then I start on Monday..... scary times.  

Anyway, we visited a supermarket to buy the ingredients for tonight's dinner- MUSCLES! 
Danish supermarkets are actually pretty cool. The one we went to had everything. It was like Big W and Woolies combined. The seafood section had some pretty strange looking things! Bought all the spices and stuff that we needed and then headed home. 

Drove a different way home today, and saw an old town that is about 300 years old. It was a beautiful little street that was lined with trees that would make an archway when all of the leaves come in Summer. The first part of it had the workers houses. They were like little cottages that were so beautiful and old. Then we came to the owners house. I am told that it once belonged to a Lord. It was massive! Looked like another castle (they are everywhere over here!) Also had a beautiful stable attached to it. Could not believe that this was like a 5 minuet drive away! Everywhere you turn, you learn something new about this country! It is just unreal. 

Arrived home to light snow falling and then cooked dinner. Was a little nervous about eating muscles... but once again whilst I am here I figure that I may as well try everything that is put in front of me. I was surprised, as they were actually pretty nice. Can imagine myself eating a plate of them whilst in Brussels on Euro tour (saw the itinerary. it looks amazing SO SO EXCITED!! four days in Paris- OMG) Anyway, finished dinner and then ended the day with a hot chocolate and the musical cats. 

Tomorrow I am heading into another town for a little more exploring and a walk along the harbour. 








No comments:

Post a Comment