Monday 16 September 2013

the life of an exchange student

A lot of things have changed whilst I have been on exchange. For one, I feel like as a person I am more confident than I have ever been before... and I suppose that has come from navigating the metro systems in every European city I've set foot into.. Another thing that has changed about me is my school timetable. Last year throughout the HSC, school was filled with the humanities- legal studies, english of the analysing kind, drama and of course my beloved histories. This year however, I am no longer cramming my brain with history dates or script lines. 
The reason why I compare this drastic change is the contents of my timetable on a monday morning.
School from 08:10- 15:50. 6 classes. 
Beginning off with english, gym, physics, chemistry, advanced maths and last but not least biology. 
Doing these subjects in a foreign language is interesting, and I have occupied myself in many ways today. I would seriously die without my computer on days like today. I think I am now up to date with all emails and inboxes on facebook, I've checked out enough clothing stores to do my head in, started researching how to get all my stuff home and now finally I'm writing a blog entry to occupy myself through this biology peroid. I currently have 50 minuets of school left. YES! 

So I had a quite busy weekend (surprise surprise) This is just a regular routine now, and come Monday morning when my alarm goes off at 06:30am it takes a lot of restraint not to throw it out my bedroom window. But as my dad always says, I can sleep in Australia! So here I am, another sleep deprived exchange student updating you on whats the latest and greates in the land of the happiest people in the world- voted again in 2013 (i love denmark!) 

This weeks fun activities began on Friday, with my class at school where we didn't have to sit through double physics and maths peroids. Instead we had an activities day where we went around the school and partook in random activities. We started the day off by going around the school, looking at the quotes on the school windows and researching the movies that they came from. Being Friday the 13th, the theme was horror so all the quotes were horror related. Our next activity was a little random. We had to run around the school finding spanish words and remembering them. We then had a test when we got back. Needles to say, by Australian terms I can now speak German, Danish and Spanish. Our next activities were a lot of fun. We went over to the Musicon which is like a giant hall in Roskilde. Here we began with some yoga workouts.. This was so hilarious as some of the poses were so random and strange and so we all had a good laugh. The last activity was by far the funnest. This was us on scooters driving through zig zaged soft drink bottles. Of course it was a competition and my class wasn't really the best. It was a really really fun day with my class though! 

After activities day, I went home and got ready to go to my last Fredags Rock with two of my Australian friends. I met up with the first in Tivoli and we ate some ice cream and caught up with each other. After we strolled around Tivoli soaking up its awesomeness (like we do every time we are in there). Then, my other friend came and we started going on some rides! We also met up with her Newbies who were both from the USA. We had a really nice dinner in a restraunt in Tivoli and just chatted... We ended up sitting at our table for like 3 hours. It was very hyggelit. As for Fredags Rock, the band that played was okay however Lauren and I didn't really stay and mosh pit like we usually do. As it was our last summer tour in Tivoli we mainly went on rides. It was a lot of fun.

As an exchange student, the most fun comes from being spontaneous, and thats exactly what this weekend was! I decided to go home with Lauren after Tivoli for the first time ever. We had to wait a long time for our train at Copenhagen (danish transport systems!) but we eventually arrived home at like 1 am so crashed into bed. The next day, we went into Holbeck and did some shopping. Holbeck is the next big town over from Roskilde and has the widest shopping street in Denmark. Lauren lives right on the Fjord, so it is a very plesant bike ride into town. The weather was so beautiful so we had a very relaxing day. We met up with her newbies again and showed them some danish shops. We updated their wordrobe to danish style, gave them some advice and just had a girly day. It was a lot of fun. Lauren and I afterwards bought some exchange supplies and rode home. We baked pizza, and ate in the lovely sun and just talked and talked and talked. By night we decided to watch a movie however ended up talking through the whole thing so it just stayed off. It was a really fun weekend!

On the Sunday we woke up, cooked a breakfast, talked some more, planned adventures and I caught the train back to Roskilde with 30 mins to spare before I was heading off to the Tivoli theatre to see a H.C Anderson show. At 2:30pm I was picked up by my 3rd host family who took me into Tivoli! Before the show started, me and my host sisters went on some of the rides- the demon (which is a big roller coaster and so much fun) and the newest ride in Tivoli which is really fun! The theatre started. It was all about Hans Christain Andersons fairytales with a modern twist. The acts that featured had a very circus appeal and it was amazing! There was one girl who did a trick with a ring where she was literally dancing in a giant hollahoop. It was mindblowing and so amazing to witness as I have never seen anything like it. Overall, it was also nice to see some of the H.C Anderson fairytales live! And as a bonus i've ticked off another thing from my to do list in Denmark- go to the theatre in Tivoli! 

So this weekend was a lot of fun! And the next few will be equally as fun. This afternoon when I get home from school I need to start packing my suitcase to move famalies because I move in 11 days. It's so crazy to think that I am about to move in with my 3rd and last family. Part of me can not believe it! 
So apart from packing, I've got plans to go shopping in Copenhagen tomorrow cause i finish school at 10:30, then meet up with my newbie on Wednesday in Roskilde, thursday I'm having dinner at my ex Rotary presidents house and Friday I'm off for the weekend on a Rotary get together. This week is setting out to be crazy- but i love my exchange life and wouldnt change it for the world! 

Kuns og hilsen 
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment