Thursday 19 September 2013

On the 19th of January 2013, an Australian girl hopped off the plane at Copenhagen airport, gazing out at the snowy surroundings whilst trying to remember how to introduce herself in Danish. This girl had a lot of hopes and dreams for her exchange year. She had only dreamt about this moment her whole life, and the eight months that followed this very scenario were beyond all of her expectations and wildest dreams. 

The girl that arrived at Copenhagen airport is not the same girl who is writing this blog post today. It is amazing what 8 months can do to a person and being away from my beloved family and friends (and tim tams) has taught me a lot about myself. And so when people ask me if I miss home, of course I say yes, but I then remind them that I have family and friends here in Denmark. I now understand that a person can live in two worlds- and that Denmark will always be my second home, although sometimes it actually feels more like home than Australia... 

As I scroll through my newsfeed in boring maths and physics classes, I see all the statuses and pictures of this years year 12 graduating.. It brings back a lot of memories as that was me this time last year. The stress of the HSC and high school pettiness seems like a lifetime ago... although sometimes I do miss the good old days. 

I'm now beginning to think a lot about my life when I get back to Australia Reality has hit- im home in 3 months and 3 weeks. Big decisions need to be made regarding university and completing them here in Denmark just doesn't seem quite right. I would so very much love to stay in this wonderful country for longer- even just two months so that I can go on my class study trip to Spain ;). I think that leaving will be one of the hardest things I will ever do but of course I already have a plan to come back and see my class graduate...

Things are going great guns though. I'm continuing to love my stay very very much. I've had it quite busy this week. A trip into Copenhagen on Tuesday and a trip to Holbæk last night for dinner. Exchange life is the best. wouldnt have it any other way! 

Sorry this blog post is so pointless- promise ill write a good one when i'm home from the get together with rotary! 

Vi ses venner <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment