Monday 30 September 2013

get together, moving and other shenanigans

Hello fellow bloggers, 

I know I said that I would update this time last week, so as per usual I have to apologise for my lack of updating. I had a relatively busy week last week- from moving host families, packing my 15 bags of stuff and just being a Danish gymnasium student in second year.... it is a hard life believe me. 
But today is monday and I am currently half way through the day at school in chemistry not really understanding what is going on, so i'm zoning out and updating my blog (this is actually strategic because it means that the teacher thinks I am doing work and taking down some notes! ;) ) I have learnt the tricks of the trade whilst being an exchange student thats for sure!

So last weekend I was in a place called Kørso (sounds like KUR-SUE) This was because I had a get together with my district in Denmark. My district encompasses all of Zealand except for the Copenhageners so there were about 30 of us there. There were only 5 'oldies' who were there and three of them are some of my best friends in Denmark. It's pretty funny because we are all australian girls, except for our one Argentinian boy who we adopted for the weekend. It was so fun to meet all of the new exchange students. They are all so sweet, and all have high expectations for exchange. I got on really well with some of the americans and it was fun to talk about what they can look forward to. In the process of course we reminicied about Euro Tour over some Daim chocolate and wished that we could all just start our exchange over again! 
The program for the weekend was just hyggelit. We all slept at a school that dates back to the 17th century.... So like I totally slept in a building that was older in Australia.....
We had some back problems by the end of the weekend as we all slept on the thinnest yoga mattereses you have ever seen! But it was hyggelit enough, not that we slept much! We stayed up dancing, singing and just having fun. 
The first night we arrived, we introduced ourselves, ate some delicious home made cake, and then did zumba for an hour- which ended up only lasting 15 mins as the latins got hold of the stero and put some of their songs up.... and so all the other non spanish speaking americans and australians left the dance floor. We ate a formal dinner, mingled with some rotarians and stayed up talking over some Maribo chocolate. 
The next day, some were fresh, but others needed some coffee to wake up. We departed for what we were told was a 'theme park' however we were not greeted with something as wonderful as tivoli. It turned out to be just a gym place, with lots of activities that we could do. It was fun, and we started off by doing some group activities that made us 'bond'. We ran and ran and ran until we were totally awake and sweating it out in the 13degree day. After this, we then had some free time so I played Kong Spille and introduced the newbies to the game. This game is played all over denmark and I have come to love it so much. It is pretty hard to explain, but basically there are 5 wodden blocks that stand at the end of each team. Each person gets to cast 2 sticks and the aim of the game is to knock the wodden blocks over. There are a lot more rules and details along the way, but once the 5 wodden blocks are knocked over, the team who gets the king first wins! A lot of fun! 
After our adventure in the park, we went to a Viking place and had a tour of the viking ship huts that once stood on the grounds. This was so interesting and our guide was even dressed as a viking! We all sat in a big viking hut which was so hyggelit and interesting to actually see what it would have been like all those years ago. The vikings are of a particular interest to me, and I am actually writing about them for my upcoming danish history assignment- in danish ;) woo hoo. anyways. We also saw some viking graves, and got to further explore the barrocks. Of course we all dressed up like vikings which was a lot of fun! 
After this, we drove to what Korsor is famous for- the big bridge across to Fyn (where Odense the home of Hans Christain Anderson lies). This bridge used to be the biggest in the world until Japan knocked it off its pedastol. The bridge is quite a site, and I always love driving over it. So we had a mini exchange student photo shoot there, and then drove back to our school where we bought some hot chocolate and warmed up!
We had another formal dinner for our last night, and after the sweet Rotarians organised a disco for us, so there was a DJ with lots of cool colourful lights and we danced until the early hours of the morning. It was a really great weekend and I had a lot of fun. 
On the Sunday, before taking the train some of us went down to a ceremony that occured in Korsor main street. This was about the revealing of a grave stone dedicated to two boys in the town that had died in the war. It was very interesting to see this, as of course in Australia we also have so much history surrounding ANZAC day so it was cool to see what the Danish people do in regards to this area. 
After, i caught the train home with some exchange students, and went straight to bed because I was so so soooo exhausted. 

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were just ordinary days filled with school and packing. I had a nice skype home on Wednesday though which was good. 
Packing was quite a big process for me, considering the amount of stuff that I have collected. I nearly died when I saw the final amount ;) But on Thursday I was ready to go, and I made dinner for my host family cause it was the last time i would be there. I made the famous dish called Shepards Pie which is Australian- i think and of course for dessert i made Mum's famous chocolate slice which went down a treat. For my last night, it was so lovely to talk with my host family and it was so hyggelit!

On Friday I had totally free from school because all of the teachers were in Budapest so that was nice. I took some photos of my host famalies house, and rode down the Roskilde havn to take some final pictures of the Viking museum and of course my favourite ice cream shop ;) come 12pm it was time for me to move 4km down the road. My new host family picked me and all my stuff up (i managed to fill their van up ;) ) and i settled into my new room and home. 

On Saturday I had a quiet day at home, working on some school work and making a video for the final exchange student get together in Holbæk. In the afternoon however I went to a party with my school friends. This is a tradition at my school to hold a party called Kidskue. It includes one class from first year, one class from second year and one from third year. First years have it not so good. They have to bring the food, and drink a discusting drink that the second years make for them. My class get to make this drink and just set up the party, and third year just come for the party. 
I was so glad that i wasnt a first year, because the drink smelt like vomit. There was EVERYTHING in there that you could imagine, and their faces were a little shocked after drinking it. It was a really fun party :) and on Sunday I was really tired, and had a quiet day in just taking a nice walk with my new host family through a forest near our house. 

And now its monday, another week has begun. 
My plans for this week:
-eating dinner with my first host family tonight
-Rotary meeting Wednesday
-school party friday
- Copenhagen Saturday
Sunday catch up on some sleep ;) 

As my time in Denmark goes from months to weeks, to days, my calendar is filling up! In just under one and a half weeks im off to Spain and when I come home I have just two weeks unitl the last rotary get together... It's strange to think and i dont really think ive come to accept it yet......

JEG VIL GERNE BLIVE I DANMARK FOR MIT HELE LIV! 

No comments:

Post a Comment