Friday 15 February 2013

I'M OFFICIALLY 18!

Celebrating a birthday away from home in another country is a super cool experience- especially when you turn 18 in Denmark! Getting to see all of their cultural traditions and customs from the inside was wonderful and something that I will always remember. I wasn't sure how I would feel on this day, as I have heard from past exchange students that birthdays are always the hardest, and because i was turning 18 i thought that it may trigger some homesickness because in Australian terms, 18 is the big one. However none came. I found that I actually had my best birthday ever, right here in Denmark. 

I was woken up by my host family singing the 'happy birthday' song in Danish. This was really sweet, and a tradition in most families. I then headed out to school. 

School was pretty average- although i did understand a history movie (yay team) I also made some lamingtons to share with my class! Was a little worried in relation to how they would turn out having never attempted to make them before but they were actually really good and they all enjoyed them :) 

After school, some of the girls from my class took me to Cafe Vivaldi, which is like a chain of cafes in Denmark. It was so cosy and we all ordered some nachos to share. They sung me happy birthday in Danish, but did a different version to the one they sung at school. This one had an instrumental section, and so they choose to play the digderdoo which was one of the funniest things i have ever heard. It was really sweet. They also got me a danish flag for our table, as it is customary in Denmark to have that when it is someones birthday. I had such a nice time with them all. After we ate some of the best nachos i have ever tasted (Vivaldi is known for them) we headed into this lolly shop where you can pick and choose your own candy. I had a vision of like the ones that you go into before you see a movie- but it was WAY bigger and WAY cooler than that. Hannah you would have loved it. There were boxed of lollies EVERYWHERE and it was so so cheap. We all walked around picking some candy to eat. I got a lot of Danish ones to try- but avoided the liquorice as it is a little too strong for my tastebuds. So after we walked away with a weeks supply of candy, I said my goodbyes and caught the bus home. 

My host parents then took me out to dinner at a sushi restaurant. This was so good and i had been craving sushi for so long. (how have I even gone a month without it?!) We then ventured home, but they told me that they had to stop to pick up something. I didn't really know what we were doing so I just got out of the car and followed. I walked down the two flights of stairs and walked into my  entire class waving the danish flag screaming SURPRISE! It was the sweetest thing, and something that I will always remember. Turns out that we were actually at a bowling alley and that they had arranged a party for me there. They also told me that they had been planning it in front of me all week, using a different name that I thought was some strange Danish word that I would learn someday. How hilarious. But I had no idea and was so so soooo surprised! But it was the nicest thing and I had such a fun night bowling with them all. Was a little embarrassed though, as bowling isn't my forte and I couldn't get bumpers :( haha but it was so much fun! The bowling alley was a pumping place- I couldn't believe that there was a bar there ?!?!?! But they had some good danish music and everyone had a super fun night :) I actually love my class and part of me wishes that i could finish school and graduate with them in 2 years time... 

So all in all, i had a fantastic birthday in Denmark. I also had a wonderful time celebrating the night before with my second host family who came over for dinner. It was a very hyggeligt evening :) Todays plans are heading into Copenhagen for some exploring and then tomorrow im having a birthday dinner with my host famalies :) but darcy is coming down to stay for two nights and going into Copenhagen with her will be so much fun. I'm now officially 18 and on winter vacation. LIFE IS GOOD!  

No comments:

Post a Comment