Monday 25 November 2013

stamina of a viking

I think that this weekend would have had to be one of the busiest, craziest and best weekends of my exchange. To say that I am exhausted is an understatement, but it was so worth it!

On Friday night, I had a hygge night with some of my friends from my class. I ate dinner out with two of my Danish friends at a place called Jensens Bøfhus in Roskilde which is Danish chain restaurant that is quite popular. Being a beef house, I ate beef of course. It was really hyggelit to eat dinner with the girls in my class! Roskilde was also really hyggelit at night, as the christmas decorations have been set up. The lights haven't been turned on yet, but there are little christmas decorations hanging off the lamp posts, similiar to the one in Camden. I am really looking forward to when the lights are turned on!
Anyways after eating dinner we caught the bus back to school (school on a friday night?!) for a thing called Råhygge. This is a special thing in Denmark that we do NOT have in Australia. It was really nice though, and had a chilled atmosphere. There was just some music playing and my class played cards. After, we went into Roskilde. It was a really fun night. 

On Saturday, I went to Holbæk, which is the neighbouring big town to Roskilde to have a hygge night/day with my four Australian girls who I was with on Euro tour. This was the last official time that we would be together. We arrived at around midday, and we ate lunch, reminisced about Euro tour (of course) and talked about what we had been up to lately. It is strange to think that we won't be able to do this next year. We watched a movie, ate junk food, and just had a really chilled afternoon. Lauren and I had a little surprise for the girls though. In the weeks before, we had made a little sash for each of them. We decided that it would be a good idea to award tiltes to the five of us and what we will be remembered for. I was awarded Miss Tivoli, Lauren was Miss Common Sense, Laura was Miss Rural and Kathleen was Miss Selfie. Each award suited us perfectly and there were a lot of laughter and tears when we all sat around opening them. After the movie finished, we all got ready to go out for dinner. We had chosen to eat at Jensens (again) hahaha but it was a really nice night. Kate somehow managed to fall in the water fountain before we even entered the restaurant, so she sat there freezing and pretty soaked. It was a good way to start the night. I think we sat in Jensens talking for three hours, and we even stayed there til almost closing time. It was such a nice dinner! After, we went out in Holbæk, came home and crashed!


MISS TIVOLI! 


The five of us with our sashes 


The opening of our sashes 

The next morning, we had bacon and eggs for breakfast, and then I headed home to Roskilde so that I could get ready for my first official Jule Frokost (christmas lunch) with some of the girls in my class. I carpooled with a girl in my class, and we arrived at around 3 and talked about Friday night, and then waited for the other girls to arrive. We then hoped in the car, drove to Netto (Danish equivlent of woolies) and walked around for a while getting together a few ingredients... But that was kinda an epic fail because we all stood there and were like "who knows how to make this danish christmas food" or "what ingredients do we need". It was rather funny. So we just ended up getting 'christmas pizza' which is just normal pizza with a christmas title so we didnt feel too dumb for not sticking to our traditional christmas theme. There were signs of christmas though. We bought a countdown candle and had that on our table, and made marzipan and nougat christmas confectionary. This is apparently traditional in Denmark, where you make like little animals. We then made pizza, talked and played a danish christmas game called 'pakkelige' where everyone buys some cheap fun gifts, and puts them in the middle... then you roll a dice, and if you get a 6 you get a gift.. then the next round if you get a 6 you get to pick someone elses gift, and if you roll a 3 you have to pass a gift on. Then the final round, all the gifts are open so you can see what you are taking and giving away. It was really fun and I have never played this game before! So the food wasn't traditional but the Danish idea of a christmas hygge sure was. I drove home with a girl in my class, then crashed pretty tired after the weekend!





This week is also pretty booked! Tomorrow I have an early day at school, so Lauren and I have planned to go into Copenhagen to finally buy our souvineers, and then on Wednesday I am off to Berlin with my host family and get back sunday where I have another christmas lunch. 

One things for sure, this busy schedule means that the remaining 48 days are going to fly by! 

oh and ps it snowed last night ;) YAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment