Saturday 18 July 2015

Busy little bee

Another quick update from the land of the Vikings.

So my time in Denmark hasn't really been dedicated to sightseeing, touristy moments… It's been more about seeing people and catching up with all my Danish ‘family’ and friends. Maybe that's why I feel at home, and why nothing about this ‘holiday’ feels like a holiday. It just feels like I've settled back into every day life. A feeling that is really hard to explain back home. I haven't even used my SLR camera!

On Sunday, I had brunch with my Third host family to welcome back my host sister from Columbia. It's so nice having her home again because the house just didn't feel right without her. It's also strange seeing her home, because it brings back so many memories from when I came home. It was a really hyggeligt morning and so great to hear about Columbia! After brunch, my councilor Esben and his wife Anita picked me up for the day. They took me to a place that is kind of like Soverign hill, just near the town of Holbæk. It shows what life was like in denmark from a time that is much older than australia. It was so interesting and the buildings were just beautiful. They had an old farm house, supermarket, garage and bakery (which was just like the QVB tea room without the big chandelier)-it was gorgeous! We ate lunch, Frikadeller of course and ended the afternoon with cake. Then we went back to their house, which is situated in the most gorgeous location overlooking a forest and a lake. The temperature was a warm and toasty 20 degrees, which called for a dip in their pool. It was a lovely afternoon, drinking champagne, eating dark chocolate and sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the beautiful view. We then ate dinner which was a three course meal of delicious food, and then sat down to watch a movie. A danish crime thriller that followed on from a movie that I saw when I was here last. It was so good.

The next morning I awoke to a table filled with home made bread…. How I have missed denmark! After a delicious breakfast, I was ready for the day ahead of shopping with my friend Cecille from school. She lives really close to Esben, so it worked out that I could meet her on the bus. We then took the train into Copenhagen where we started on the shopping street – which I know like the back of my hand. We had a nice day strolling through the streets and picking up some great bargains. We ate lunch at my favourite kebab shop in Nyhavn and bought some danish strawberries to eat at home. All in all a great day.

On Tuesday, I was also in copenhagen with Lara- who would have thought that a girl I went to primary school with would love denmark as much as I did. We had a nice morning in Copenhagen and ate some traditional danish food for lunch. It was delicious. Of course we ate ice cream after. Then I met up with Laura, my friend from exchange when I was here, and we soaked up the sun, then visited the little mermaid and princess Mary. It was really strange being at Amalingborg again, because the queens castle was being renovated! So it looked completely different. It was a really nice day.

On Wednesday,, I caught up with anna, the exchange student who stayed with my family when I was in Denmark. We went to the danish coast, and the most beautiful place called Møns Klint. We walked through the forest, down all the stairs admiring the beautiful view. All up there are 994 steps! After our climb, we drove through the beautiful, luscious green country side to a famous dairy farm that has møns is, which is made on the premises and tastes delicious. Of course anna and I had to have four- chocolate, caramel macaron. Baileys and Møns speciality. Delicious! It was a great day.

On Thursday I saw my friend from gymnasium, Christine, and we went to Helsingør which is at the top of Zealand (I think)… Anyway it defiantly borders Sweden because you can literally see Sweden and its within swimming distance which for an australian is absoloutely crazy!! Whilst we were in Helsingør we went to Hamlets Castle which had changed a little bit since I had been there, we had a really fun day being tourist because Christine has never been there! We then ate dinner at a hyggeligt restaurant. It was a really great day.

Yesterday, which was Friday, I went down to my third host families summer house for some hygge and of course ice cream. We had a nice time playing lots of games.

Today I'm off to the amusement park Bakken which I'm so excited about!

As for the rest of the week, I have no idea. But this time in a week I'll be on a plane home- crazy how time is flying by!!


No comments:

Post a Comment