Friday 25 October 2013

Håndbalt!

It is actually a little strange for me to be consistent with my blog updating- I mean two blog posts in the space of 2 days! But the current maths lesson I am sitting in isn't so appealing, so I decided to do another update on what I got up to last night 

So last night I managed to tick off another thing on my 'to do list' in Denmark. This list is becoming shorter and shorter, and I have almost managed to achieve everything I wanted to do on my exchange year. The thing that has now been crossed off my list was a håndbale game... Something that to me is very Danish as i first experianced the hype of Denmark playing the finals when I first arrived. 

But Australians, the handball that we think of is NOT the handball that they play over here in Europe. I'm sure we are all aware of the fun handball game that consumed much of my primary school lunchtimes. Four people, in their own square bouncing a ball around a few times. It's fun, but NOTHING compared to the standard and the stamina needed to be a player over here. Here is a short youtube clip incase some of you aren't familiar with the sport (because I sure wasn't when I came) 


It's exciting, its face paced and Danes love it! The atmosphere at the game was awesome, and everyone was right into it. Of course, it did help that Denmark won. I saw the womens game, and the best way to describe it is like an over aggressive netball game with a hint of some soccer goals. It is very fast paced, and you have to keep your eyes on the game or else before you know it the other team has scored!
Denmark played Austria and I wondered what language the umpires would speak, or how difficult it would be for the Austrian team to understand danish... kinda like what i experienced when I first came to Denmark. I suppose being Aussie, we don't really think about that because we just take it for granted that we are an english speaking nation. Europe has defiantly opened my eyes to the wider world. 

Me and my host sister dressed up for the occassion hoping to make the TV, however we were sadly missed in our Danish outfits. I had a lot of fun, and picked up a Danish flag blower and of course some clappers! It was a really fun night and I am so glad that I got to see a live match as we do not have it so much in Australia. 


Me and my host sister Julia ready for Handball! 

And tonight I do not get an early night. I'm off to Tivoli with two of my Aussie friends and of course I am going again on Sunday because I just love Tivoli and haven't seen it for Halloween (what?!) On Saturday I am off to one of my Danish friends 18th birthday :) and last period today, i am doing a presentation on the stolen generations....to 60 people... in a classroom.... with a microphone... for the last period of the day... 
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment