Wednesday 9 October 2013

Zoo and other things

So, as always I am a busy little exchange student determined to make the most of my 94 days in beautiful Denmark and last weekend I managed to tick some things off my 'to do list' in Denmark. 

On Friday, I went to my first EVER gymnasium party in Denmark. My class couldn't believe that, especially since I have been here for nearly 9 months (what). Anyways, gymnasium fests are something that we absoloutley do not have in Australia. Basically in a simple description it is a party that the school puts on for students. The easiest way to describe it is to actually just post the link to the video that was taken on the night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZLsf1Vt0Ro&feature=youtu.be (see if you can spot the 5 second footage of me!)
Gymnasium parties are a very big part of Danish culture, as it allows the classes to socalise. This party was HUGE because it contained all of the gymnasiums in Roskilde (four of them). It was a lot of fun. Not many people from my class were there though, so I made mexican food with some of my host sisters friends before we went to the party. It was very hyggelit. 

No sleep in on Saturday morning! I was up early and eager to make the most of a free weekend (as I dont have many left in Denmark). I hoped on a train and met my Australian friend Laura. We went into Copenhagen to do a bit of shopping. Surprisingly, the tables had turned because it is usually me who buys a lot of stuff... hahaha but laura added to her wordrobe and we then met up with my host sister in the afternoon to see Copenhagen Zoo! This has been on my to do list, as one of my cousions who had traveled to copenhagen in 2012 said that it was worth the visit! And I'm glad we went. The zoo was pretty big, although i will always have a thing for Taronga zoo. There were a lot of animals there, and i was so surprised because they had emus and a tasmanian devil (that was the present from Tasmania when Mary and Fred were married). That was cool to see. The big wow factor of the zoo however was defiantley the elephants- as there was a baby one that was just over a year old (cutest little thing) and of course the new Artic Ring exhabition that opened just last year. This exhabition features an actual polar bear. However, when we were there it wasn't particularly exciting but it was SO cool to see one up close and personal- but not too close ;) We also got to see some behind the scenes of the zoo as my host cousion works there. She took us through to the kids section (educational areas) and we got to see and touch some animals. I wasn't too keen on touching them- especially because they were snakes but i faced my fear and touched one. It was rather funny because some of the animals featured in the section were actually from Australia! It was a good day at the zoo. 



So cute 

POLAR BEAR! 


How cute is the little elephant! 


Toocan! 


Laura and me at Copenhagen Zoo 




Direct from Australia- EMUS! 


After the zoo, Laura and I went back to my host sister Maria's house to hygge for a little bit and just relax. It was nice just chatting and of course we reminiced about Euro Tour. Laura and I caught the train home at around 11ish after a really nice night out in Copenhagen


Copenhagen at night! Will never get tired of this place

On Sunday morning, Laura and I slept in until 10am cause we were quite tired! But we woke up to a lovely cooked Danish weekend breakfast of freshly cooked bread buns (which i am going to miss so much... gonna eat so many in the next 95 days!). We then just chatted, watched tv, contemplaced going into Roskilde but then just decided to stay at home. It was hyggelit to spend time with Laura :) and I had a really really nice day. My host family then drove her to the station so that she could go home and from there we drove to the movies. We saw a Danish film that was actually quite good. It didn't have any english subtiltes for me to follow, but that was okay because i managed to totally follow the movie :) I felt quite proud of myself although it was difficult at some times to understand the danish of a guy who is not from Denmark- i now know how people feel when they listen to my attempts especially in the beginning! It was overall a really nice weekend :) and I had a lot of fun, but little energy come my wake up call on Monday morning! 

I was also relativley busy during the week last week. On Monday night I ate dinner with my first host family at their house. That was really nice to catch up with them and we just talked about life and how much has changed. We joked about how they could get another Australian girl living with them (they have already had two- me and another girl) and I found out on Saturday night that a 15 year old girl is coming to Roskilde next year with my Rotary club. I am not quite sure how to feel about this situation. I suppose reality has hit that my exchange is sadly coming to an end! 

The season change is another reminder that my year is almost over. Just this afternoon actually I took my host famalies dog Mika for a walk around the block and took my camera with me so that I could grab some shots of the season change because the different colours are quite beautiful. Even in Australia I love Autumn, and the leaf changing colours is always beautiful. As I look out the window from the kitchen table, I see the pretty mix of colours- yellow, red and green. It is just beautiful and my walk this afternoon was also beautiful 


How cute is my host famalies dog?! Ahhhh I love her! 


And this is beautiful Denmark in Autumn 
ellers; Det er smukke Danmark i afterår! 


Beautiful colours! 

This week was just a regular week for me at school. Monday was my dreaded long day until kl 16 and I think my whole class was mentally and physically exhausted. Tuesday wasn't too bad as I only had class until 10:30 so I just went home and slept for a few hours which was really nice. Today is Wednesday and today began with a quick skype call home. I wasn't at school today because my class is writing a big Danish History paper and they have the next three days to write it. So, instead of just sitting at home being bored, I decided to ask my teacher if I could maybe participate too and write a paper just like my class. Of course, my limited Danish meant that I didn't have to write the 10 pages that my class has to write, it just meant that I can choose how much I want to write. I decided to write about the Vikings because I am living in the town that used to be the viking centre of Denmark. It was very interesting for me to read up about, although it did take a lot out of me because the text books were ALL in Danish. My topic was on the vikings religion and society and how their religion was reflected in aspects of their society. But it was a fun exercise and I learnt a lot. I finished it today- 700 words and my host mum just edited it for me :) I am quite proud of my efforts considering I just attempted to write an essay in Danish having only been here 8 and a half months!

Anyways, having finished my Danish History assignment I AM OFFICIALLY ON HOLIDAYS (again!) Wooooo hoooo! Yes, Autumn holiday time is now on in Denmark (starting officially Friday) which means that tomorrow i am off to SPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can hardly wait! A whole week of sporting activities and realxing and soaking up the Spanish sun (because it may be the last that I see for awhile)
After I come home, it will be nearly November! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?!
Anyways, my plans include

-Tivoli for Halloween (multiple times of course)
-Handball game
-Danish friends 18th Birthday (hejså Krille!) 
-Presentation to English class on the Stolen Generations (anyone wanna help me with that?!)
-Last Get Together for Rotary (what) 

I'm off to pack my bags!
SPAIN HERE I COME! 
See you in two weeks bloggers xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment