Tuesday 9 April 2013

musicals, tea, cake, food and movies...

As I settle into my every day routine here in Denmark, I find that I am becoming more and more busy. My social life has suddenly expanded beyond the walls of school, the gym and Danish school as the weather has started to dramatically improve. I can not believe that it's April already! 

Okay, so on Friday, I went into Copenhagen with my third host family to see Shrek the Musical. I was so excited for it as being a musical buff, I knew most of the songs and had been hoping for quite some time, that it would one day come down from the big lights of Broadway and settle into the Lyric Theatre in Sydney. So never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that I would have been sitting in a theatre in Copenhagen on opening night watching this very musical. It was unreal and the show was just as amazing as it looked in the youtube videos that I have watched. Being in Denmark though, the show was in Danish and so were the songs, but I didn't mind and was actually able to understand some of what was being said on stage. I suppose that knowing the story quite well was a big help! But the lights, songs, actors, costumes and stage setting were all amazing (dont worry, I won't write a review in the same format as my HSC major work haha). I had a really really wonderful evening and it was so nice to see my third host family again :) I can not wait to stay with them in October!

On Saturday, I woke up with a little bit of a cold (the joys of living in a cold country) so unfortunately I had to postpone my second host dads offer to go kayaking on the lake! He instead invited me over for a hot cup of tea which was really nice and I had a really wonderful afternoon, just chatting with my host dad and host sister. Of course, I made a cake to take over as in Denmark you can not have a hot cup of tea without freshly baked cake! It was a really nice afternoon! 

On Sunday, more food was involved. I went to the 50th birthday brunch for a neighbour who lives in Trekronerbro with my host family. I love Danish birthdays. No matter how big, or how small there is just something so special about them! There were about 82 people at the brunch and there was so sooo much food. Danish brunches are probablly the greatest thing ever. So many pancakes, cakes, museli, yougart and strange foerign food that the Australian pallet takes a very nice liking to! At the brunch, there were lots of speeches, and the birthday boys family friends played instruments for him. It was so sweet! The common house had been decorated beautifully with candles and flowers. It was so nice and lovely. I had a really enjoyable time. I also got to see Teresa and Aleksander again (who we went skiing with). I had a really really nice chat to Teresa, and we went to the movies later to see 'The Host'. So I can now officially tick 'going to a danish cinema' off my to do list. The Host is quite a well made film and I really recommend seeing it. 

Yesterday I had a super short day at school and because I finished so early, me and my Brazilian oldie decided to celebrate and do something. We decided to see the film 'The Great and Almighty Oz'. There was a very special circumstance yesterday which needed to be solved with a little Ben and Jerry's ice-cream. How American of us. But it was a really nice afternoon and the movie is amazing! I really recommend seeing it. (yes i did go to the cinema twice in the last two days #exchangestudentlife!)
So after the cinemas, I went to the gym with my host mum to do a 'Body Flow' class and i then did 30 mins of swimming. It was really good and I felt a lot better after some exercise. My oldie and I have vowed not to eat anything unhealthy before Euro Tour..... I wonder how long it is going to last..... ;) 

The plans for this afternoon; go to language school, go home, maybe do a Zumba class and sleep. Sounds pretty average hey! But the next few weeks are going to be anything but average because in less than 2 weeks I will be on a plane to Berlin to see Chris, Sal and the kids. It will be so good to see some family members again! and I can not wait to see Berlin!!!!! 
My weekends are now jam packed as well! This weekend my friend from Holbeck is coming to visit and we are probably going into Copenhagen to meet up with Darcie :) It will be so good to see her again and I'm really looking forward to it. We have to make plans for a few music festivals coming up!

One can conclude that April is a month filled with trips to Tivoli, conformations, parties, travelling and really really nice weather :) 

Exciting times ahead!
Promise I'll write again soon 

No comments:

Post a Comment