Friday 26 April 2013

Lest We Forget

ANZAC day is a very significant date on the Aussie calendar each year. The 25th of April marks the day where all Australian and New Zealanders stop to remember all those men and women who died serving our countries. It is a very special day that brings together the people of Australia and New Zealand. Most towns around Australia hold marches, where schools, soldiers, soldiers families and other organisations march through the main street. It has a really wonderful atmosphere. There are also Dawn Services and midday services following the march, where wreaths are laid in memory of all those who died. Poems, odes and songs are sung and the last post is played. This song is a very powerful one that can still give me goosebumps. ANZAC day has always been special to me, and so I was thrilled when I could celebrate it right here in Denmark. 

I did a little googling when I was bored in class one day and came across the Australian embassy website which had the details for a little service held at the ambassadors residence. So I asked around, and organised a tiny group of exchange students to attend. And yesterday was the big day. So at 9:30, I caught the train into Copenhagen armed with a map, trying to find the Ambassador's residence... I met up with fellow Aussie Laura and from there we attempted to tackle the Danish metro with great success! We got a little carried away with talking though and nearly missed our stop! But we eventually made it with time to spare! We waited for Georgia and Kate to arrive and from there we legged it through the ritzy part of Copenhagen, to the Australian Ambassador's house. I was so proud of us that we actually made it..(thanks to a Danish lady checking her mail box that pointed us in the right direction). We were greeted by a smiling Aussie with a super cool name (Sarah of course) and hearing the Aussie accent was just wonderful. So we walked around to the backyard where the service was being held. It had a really cute set up- the flags and of course just so many Aussies! Hearing the accent and listening to a conversation that you could understand every single word to was just AWESOME and something that made me feel very home on ANZAC day! Even hearing the presence of the slang integrated into conversation was just wonderful... the words up there was of course 'mate'.

The service began at 10:00 sharp, and followed a similar structure to those at home. There were wreath laying by other countries (which was pretty cool) and the last post was played where everyone observed a minutes silence. There was a really special atmosphere in the crowd, and it was a reminder that no matter where you are in the world, Aussie's will gather together to commemorate this very special day. Hearing the Aussie national anthem made me feel right at home although it did feel a little strange to be singing in Denmark. But it was very special and I will always remember this particular ANZAC day! I'm really glad that I found out about the service! There were light refreshments served at the end of the service which was AMAZING! We ate ACTUAL Aussie food!! Sausage rolls, laminations and ANZAC biscuits were served for the occasion. It was so nice just being in the company of other Aussies on the day! It was a very enjoyable morning that I throughly enjoyed! I'm really glad that I was able to do something for ANZAC day in Denmark! 

After the service, Georgia, Laura, Kate and I decided to spend the rest of the day in Copenhagen! So we were Aussie tourists for the day. Our first stop was of course the Little Mermaid which I have become a regular at now ;) third time visit i think- and many many more to come. We then walked around Copenhagen to get to Mary's palace! I was the tour guide for the day as I now know my way around Copenhagen! It's pretty cool and I have been in there so much these last few weeks. I love living so close! We then stopped in Nyhavn and met up with another Aussie exchange student. We just sat by the water, people watching and just talking about random things in general. We then had a caffein recharge with an iced coffee and were ready to hit up the shopping street. This was of course without a visit to the Disney store where we bought some Copenhagen badges for our blazers and other souvenir shops. We then said goodbye to Kate and Georgia and Laura and I stayed in Copenhagen buying some essential items for our Euro tour. A shop had 50% off EVERYTHING so we went to town! It was such a lovely afternoon though, just roaming the shopping street and enjoying each others company! We went home at around 7 and I crashed into bed. I have had such a busy weekend!












No comments:

Post a Comment