Monday 11 March 2013

jeg er så cult

Dear Australia, you do not know the definition of cold until you have lived in Denmark.... If I see a Facebook status complaining about the weather on a 10 degree day- look out!

Okay, so you can forget everything I said about the nice and lovely and warm spring weather, because the Serbian express decided to blow it all away- quite literally.

Never in my entire 18 years of existence have I experienced anything like the cold that came over Denmark on the weekend. (just when I thought that I was getting used to the weather too!) This wind that blew in from Serbia was the coldest thing that i have ever endured.. But alas, I am a fearless exchange student who survived these freezing conditions, and only have a cold to remind me of my adventures. 

The weather didn't stop me from having a super (I say that a lot now- because its part of the danish lingo) weekend. On Saturday, I went to the gym with my host mum to do a body pump class. This was super fun, like a dance class all in one! I then came home, and went for a 4km walk with my host dad around the area near our house. It is a nature reserve, that has heaps of exercise equipment, mouton bike tracks, fishing areas and even places for horse riding. This nature reserve was super nice, and I sure got my fair dosage of fresh air! It will be a really nice place to go for some exercise in the spring time- when its not so windy :) 

On Sunday, I again went to the gym with my host mum to do a body flow class. This is a combination of thai chi and yoga. It was super relaxing and just what I needed. Although my core strength has seriously declined since i left Australia ( I'm doing the same class again tonight- should be good!) 
Doing gym classes in Danish is actually a good way for me to pick up the language. It sounds silly! But the instructors talk about specific movements that coincide with parts of the body. So its all in one- danish training with a little bit of exercise on the side. Anyways, after the gym, we came home, ate some freshly baked bread buns (they were so amazing- will be baking lots of bread when i get back to Australia) and ventured into Copenhagen. For the trip in, we had a 'cafe on wheels' complete with tea and chocolate for the car. it was very huggelit and was just the thing to warm us up on the cold day. 

Our first stop in Copenhagen was Rosenborg's Slot (slot= castle in danish) This castle is the home to the crown jewels of the Royal Family. It is of course a beautiful castle, holding some of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen. The crowns and jewels were from the past kings and queens of Denmark. So beautiful, so old, and so glitzy. The crowns were the definition of bling!
 The castle's contents was of course bursting with historical information. For example, it is famous for the wine! The first bottle of this wine dates back to the 1600's (i think- maybe give or take a few years- but never the less its ancient)  The wine is so famous because the story is that a little bit of the original wine (yes, the bottle from the 1600's)  is used to make the wine today... My host dad and mum told me that it was gross so i suppose that it makes the story more believable! But the wine is also famous as it makes an appearance at royal occasions- poor Mary! 

So after seeing these beautiful jewels, we ventured just around the corner to a little museum called Hirschsprung. This museum holds some of the best and most famous Danish art. I really enjoyed strolling through the rooms and the paintings were just unbelievable. To me, this is a reminder that I am in Europe (well.... technically Scandinavia, but two hours from Europe). Soaking up all of the culture, walking down the cobble stoned streets with winter coats and speaking another language is so surreal- and i am just loving every moment! 

Came home after a busy day, watched the last episode of Bourne (a danish tv show about parliament- its actually really good! i can see why so many families cram around their tvs on a sunday) After this, we ate some freshly baked rugbrød. I have heard many mixed opinions on this Danish speciality. Some exchange students can't get enough, where as others long for the white processed fatty bread sold in their home countries. For me personally, rugbrød is delicious. Perhaps it is because I wasn't a white bread lover in Australia or, perhaps it is because my taste buds are starting to adapt to the Danish pallet. I actually like caviar, this cod egg paste stuff and all of the fish that i have eaten (am yet to try herring). The only Danish food that will not go down well is liver paste. I actually love rugbrød so much that I am getting my host mum to teach me how to bake it so that I can eat it in Australia!! I'm sure that you will all loveeeeeeee it :) (note; i am really missing cadbury chocolate in the easter displays... its not easter unless you have those little colourful cadbury eggs- yes i am missing them)  

This week at school will be pretty average..... My class have a 'project week', where every day they go to school to work on an assignment. At the end of the week, they must produce a 5000 word essay (written in groups) on how reality TV affects the young people of today. As my danish vocabulary lacks the vital words needed to compose an essay, I will just participate whenever I can and pretend to understand what is actually going on! 
I am going to my Rotary meeting on Wednesday night though, which will be really fun and then I have language school on Tuesday and Thursday. In between I'll be hitting up the gym, and if the weather permits, getting some ice cream with my class friends :) 

This weekend should be super fun though! On Friday one of my friends from class is sleeping over. We are making some cinamon scrolls and having a movie night. I am really looking forward to it. Then on Saturday, I'm heading out to watch her gymnastics team. This should be very interesting as its not the gymnastics that we think of in Australia, its more like a dance based course where they perform for fun, not with competitions or anything. It should be really good and I am very much looking forward to it! 
And as for Sunday, well who knows........... 

buttttttttt

IM GONG SKIING IN NORWAY IN TWO WEEKS!


No comments:

Post a Comment