Wednesday 6 March 2013

fun in the sun

Since my last post, I have met more than 200 new people from all over the world, been to Lalandia (which is in the top 10 tourist destinations in Denmark), learnt to ice stake and have seen the border of Germany.... so much in such a short amount of time.
One can conclude though that my life here in Denmark is happening at a rapid pace. So many sights, new people, delicious food and new strange words to learn!

So i suppose before i begin rambling, I better finish where i left off and tell you all about the super crazy fun weekend that I had at Lalandia. It was so good to see all of the newbies from intro camp again. We talked about whats happened since intro camp and discussed the important things, such as how much weight we were gaining, whilst downing swedish chocolate (go figure). It was also so good to meet all the oldies (for those who aren't up with the rotary lingo, an oldie is a person who has been here since summer.) There were so many of them though, i dont think i even met half of them! But the ones that i did meet were super nice, and they made the weekend that much more enjoyable.

There were so many fun activities at Lalandia. One could ice state, bowl or head to the aqua dome for some water slide fun... whilst it was one degree outside (imagine wet n wild but indoors)
I wasn't really feeling the slides, so I headed to the ice skating rink.....
I am not the best ice skater in the world, so it took me quite awhile to actually skate around the rink. I had my trusty witches hat to guide my clumbsy ways though so that was good, and by the end of our hour session, I was freely skating with no wall and no witcheshat. i even braved the middle. So safe to say i can actually ice skate now!

At night, everyone had  huggley (danish word for cosy) time. I watched as some sung American Pie on the karoke and tried their luck at bowling. Everyone was super tired, and my roomies and I bonded by eating a packet of Haribo lollies and talking about our experiences so far. It was really good to be with people who are experiancing the same things that I am.

Over all, it was a super dooper weekend. We all left Lalandia feeling exhausted and sat down on the carriage ride home.. however were kicked out of our seats and ended up standing for the entire two hours. It was the fullest train that i had ever been on.

So exhausted, I arrived home to a much needed sleep, and woke up at 6:30am for school.
Monday was a pretty average day. Hit up the gym with my host mum which was really good. Also stopped in town on the way home to do a little browsing and just enjoy the atmosphere because i just love it.

Yesterday I finished school at 1 and celebrated the beginning of Spring with two of my class mates. We ventured into town with the intention of going to Paradise Ice, but were too tempted by the sign that said all you can eat ice cream for 50kr. So we stopped, and sat outside (you know your a dane when you sit outside in a cardigan and its 6 degrees)
We ate five helpings each and made sure each one was topped with m&m's, waffles, oreo bits and every single sweet thing one could dream of and during the two hours we were there, we moved inside. Our minds were telling us it was the cold, but we all knew that it was to make us closer to the dessert bar.

It was so fun. They taught me some basic danish and attempted to break up the difference between the accents from Denmark. An elderly couple were listening and were trying to suppress laughter. especially when they taught me the word 'Tralse'
Stupid me said 'are you from traulse'
Little did i actually know that it was a slang word from Jetland that means oh bother. Kinda like the british word for bolloux. language blunder take 1028478912893819829184989843981.

With our tummies exploding and us vowing not to eat ice cream for at least a month i ventured to language school. This was super fun and i am starting to actually understand some danish words.
After i went to Ro's Torvs for some mexican food with two of my oldies and my fellow newbie from Brazil. Had another embarrassing language moment when i asked my friend
"hvor skal wi spieser" which i thought meant when shall we eat. I was so confident with this phrase and said it so loudly and confidently.... but when the lady at the counter stared at me weird my cheeks started burning. My friend burst out laughing and asked if i was a cannabl as i had just asked him who shall we eat?
Damn those danish Hv words.

After my cheeks had returned to their normal colour, we ventured up to the mexican restraunt. It was so much fun! good food, good laughs and a good time was had by all. Talking about Mel's idea for a traditional dress day at her school had me in stitches and i discovered that the whole world is in denial about the word 'sunbake'. Apparently the correct terminology is 'sun bathe'. whatttttt!
Immitating each others accents was also fun. and the good mexican food was the cherry on top to a good night.

So afterwards I went home, and got some much needed sleep.

Woke up this morning feeling so much more refreshed. Enjoyed my sleep in to 8:00 as i had a late start at school :) Have ditched my winter coat for a trench coat, worn my sunnies to school and have embraced the heat wave that is going through Denmark. Time to get out the 30+ its 7 degrees WOOOOO   



*nb i can not spell in english so dont expect me to spell danish words 

No comments:

Post a Comment