Thursday 12 December 2013

another weekend another adventure

Today is the 11th of December 2013... An insignificant day to most, but to me the 11th will always be of some importance. For the past nine months, it has been a date that is approaching too quickly... Australia is getting closer and closer everyday. 

When people ask me how I feel about going home, and I reply that I am not really sure, they seem confused and don't really understand my point of view. "Don't you want to see your family?" some say and when I reply "of course", they seem even more confused. I think that my feelings towards my home date are something that only exchange students can understand, and relate too. Of course you want to go home, but at the same time you will never have this life again. I won't just be able to go into Copenhagen whenever I want, or be with my class throughout those 8am-4pm school days. Life is going to be completely different, because I am no longer the 17 year old girl who left Australia. I always wonder if people will remember me, and if the friendships I shared with many before I left will remain the same.  Only time will tell... and the waiting game is down to a month.

But before I bore you with my sentimental and pointless thought stream, I promise you that this blog has a purpose. Like always, my weekend was jam packed with christmas related activities. I was even lucky enough to enjoy a little snow.

On Friday night, I headed into Copenhagen with two of my best australian girlfriends, Laura and Georgia. This may of been the last time that we were in Copenhagen together. We met two other exchange students in Copenhagen, from America and one from Canada. We had a really nice night together, buying our last souviners, and admiring the damage that storm Bodil caused in Nyhavn (check out my pictures!) crazyyyyyy. It felt like christmas as we strolled through the christmas market, and drank hot chocolate and ate danish gingerbread. It was magical, especially when it began snowing. Unfortunately, this wasn't really snow, but rather hail but to us Aussies, it didn't matter at all. It was a wonderful night in Copenhagen :) That night, Georgia slept over and we watched Mean Girls. It was really nice to catch up with her one last time before we head home!







The next morning, after eating breakfast Georgia headed home, and I got ready to go into Copenhagen again with my councillor and his wife. We went into Copenhagen to see the Danish Royal Ballet present the Nutcracker. I was so excited, as I love the nutcracker so much! It was held in the old theatre in Copenhagen, where I saw Romeo and Juliette earlier in the year. It was such a magical ballet. The costumes were amazing, the dancers phenomenal and the overall concept that the director and art designer had taken on were truly magnificent. The overall props were amazing. In the centre there was a huge christmas tree, and then when the room went into growing mode, it appeared as if it had grown 100 feet. It was a wonderful production and I wish i could see it again and again!








After seeing the nutcracker, we walked through the shopping street to Tivoli, where we ate dinner. It was so hyggelit to be in Tivoli again, and we walked around the park for a little bit looking at the lights and christmas decorations. There was still a little bit of snow left over from the night before, which adde to the magic of the setting! At one point, it was announced that there would be a show and it was on the nutcracker, and the water fountains came to life with lights and music from the Nutcracker. It was really cool to see.
We ate a feast for dinner at a restaurant that overlooked the Moscow tower in the middle of Tivoli. We ate entrée, main course and dessert, so I was very full by the time we caught the train home! It was a wonderful night, and I would like to thank Esben and Anita once more. I had a wonderful time. 

The next morning, I helped get ready for some of my host famalies friends to come over for the day. Every year they have a tradition where they are together for christmas to eat some danish christmas treats. It wasn't a lunch nor a dinner... more like an afternoon tea or in Danish 'hygge'. It was nice, and it was the first time that i tasted many of the traditional christmas sweets. The first one was Æbleskiver.. can't really describe it so here is a picture. Æbleskiver translates to Apple skewer in English.. Not really sure why since they don't resemble a skewer at all.


They taste AMAZING especially when they are freshly made. Æbleskiver's are traditionally served with a special danish christmas drink called Glogg kinda pronounced like 'Gluk'. I have heard a lot about this drink as there are some people who do not like it at all. Traditionally, it is made with hot red wine, and a whole range of mixed fruits but time time, my host parents used a different recipie and i LOVED it! I am even taking it home with me to Australia! Glogg looks like this: 


                   

So it was a really good weekend! This week, I have been watching Tvilinger og Julemand every night


Don't actually know what i will do with myself when the program comes to an end. I really like the idea of the christmas calendar, and think that it is something that we could defiantly introduce in Australia! I have also been watching Denmark play in the handball tournament that is in Serbia at the moment. I was also pretty proud to say that Australia had a team... until I saw them play. If Australia and Denmark ever verse each other, I come from Denmark! Sorry Australia! 

And now today is Thursday, and I am in the last two peroids of the day. Pretty strange to think that I only have a week of school left forever in Denmark. Its strange to think that I wont be in my class every day.... I really can not understand that at all! 

Anyways, this weekend I am quite busy. Tomorrow night I am having a movie night with some girls in my class which should be fun, then Saturday and Sunday is totally dedicated to christmas, and the making of christmas cakes! I am looking forward to that and will hopefully pick up some recipies so that I can create a danish christmas next year. 
Then next week will be a total blur with all the plans I have
Tuesday- christmas afternoon with language class (last class ever)
Wednesday- Rotary club christmas lunch
Thursday- christmas dinner with my class
Friday- official last school day
Saturday- christmas lunch
Sunday- prehaps another christmas lunch

And this resembles my social calendar for the rest of my time left here. So many people to see, so many things to do, NOT ENOUGH TIME
Seriously Denmark I just want time to slow down. and a little bit of snow. Is that too much to ask for?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment